Fat in Vegan Diets and Tips for Optimal Nutrition

In case you missed it, Jack had a good post last week about fat in vegan diets.

And if you’re looking to maximize nutrient intake with attention to just a few details, take a look at my post on the 7 Habits of Healthy Vegans on One Green Planet. (This is a very condensed version of a talk I’m giving in Chicago next week. Hope you can be there if you live in the area!)

7 Responses to Fat in Vegan Diets and Tips for Optimal Nutrition

1. Kathi January 30, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

When and where in Chicago?

• Ginny Messina January 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

Kathi, click on the link in the post for details. It’s on 2/11 at 11:00 am at the Sulzer library.

2. Linda January 31, 2012 at 8:04 am #

That’s a really interesting article! Right now, I am using an online food tracker, and I find that it’s really hard to stick to under 25% fat–even without oil in the diet. I don’t go overboard, but I eat a few walnuts, ground flaxseed, and a serving or two of Gardein or Field Roast products each day. I might also use 1/2 tsp of oil for lightly sauteing onions or roasting vegetables. Right now at 1250 calories a day, I have my macros set at 20% protein; 20% fat; and 60% carbs. I might reassess this, or perhaps feel a little less guilty about going a tad over in my fat consumption.

• Melissa February 4, 2012 at 8:35 am #

Sorry to be a budinkski but are you exercising, too?
      If you’re at all active, 1250 is *not enough* calories. It’s actually just a tiny eek above the suggested bare minimum for women. I’d say it’s not enough calories, period.

I lost 60+ lbs about 2.5 years ago. Took me a year to do it. I ate around 1400-1700 for most of my weight loss. Once I took up running, I rarely at less than 1600 a day. The weight still came off.

The problem with eating so little, besides the risk of undereating and having too high a deficit, is that you end up burning a lot of muscle along with the fat. I found eating more and using activity, rather than calorie restriction, to get me to the 500 calorie deficit a day thing worked well. I maintained muscle and ended up fit, not just skinny. I think I typically had a 200 or so deficit from food intake and then 300+ due to exercise.

I’m still within my 10lb goal weight window (though on the higher end due to just having finished a marathon training cycle/race and I always get super hungry when I’m running a lot!) and in maintenance I’ve found I can eat quite a bit as long as I’m active. :)

Good luck! Losing is tough and maintaining can be one heck of a rollercoaster, too. If you haven’t done so, maybe check out sparkpeople.com? It’s free and full of resources. Myself and my best buddy used it to reach our weight goals.

3. Jerusha M February 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

Hey! Great post

I just wanted to tell you that I bought your book Vegan for Life yesterday on Amazon! (It will be here tomorrow) I enjoy your blog immensely and check it often to see if you have any new posts. I am so glad, as a young person, to have awesome vegan role models like you! Thanks for your work! :D

4. beforewisdom February 2, 2012 at 10:18 am #

I’m always hearing people tell me that vegan nutrition is complicated. It really isn’t. I usually shoot them this link, telling them all they need to know can fit on *ONE* page:

Your “7 Habits of Healthy Vegans” is even simpler! Bravo!

Apart from a tool to keep people from overwhelming themselves into inaction, these short lists make great check lists for people starting off on a vegan diet or who are having issues.

5. Sandy February 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

Ginny,

I’m curious as to your opinion on the 80/10/10 diet, primarily the separation of sugars from fat in a meal, and how that can reduce the effect of excess candida in the gut.

I’ve been looking into becoming a low fat raw vegan, and 80/10/10 seems to be the best guide. Most of the people i’ve chatted with about this diet are ultra marathoners and Cross Fit fans. I’m not – i just do the new P90X2 and Insanity home workouts right now, but i do like the idea of really upping my fresh fruit intake. No juicing, just eating the fruit whole.

If you have any feelings/opinions on 80/10/10, i’d really like to learn more, thanks!