Introducing the Plant Plate: A Food Guide for Vegans

My new food guide The Plant Plate made its debut on VeganForHer.com today. This is a colorized version of the guide that will be in the book Vegan for Her (which will provide a little more detail on using the plate.)

The information is almost identical to the food guide that Jack and I created for Vegan for Life. But I wanted an appealing graphic and was thrilled to find artist Ari Evergreen from Shirari Industries to illustrate it for me. (Side note: Ari went vegan after finding a Vegan Outreach pamphlet that someone left in a coffee shop. Now she uses her art in her activism for both human and non-human animals. So thank you to VO and that savvy activist who left the booklet behind–leading Ari to veganism and me to Ari. Clearly it takes a village to create a Plant Plate.)

Please considering sharing The Plant Plate on facebook or your own blog to help people see how easy and appealing vegan eating can be.

, ,

6 Responses to Introducing the Plant Plate: A Food Guide for Vegans

1. Mathieu June 5, 2013 at 11:46 pm #

This might be obvious, but… What do the numbers mean?

For example, it says to consume 4+ of grains/starch… But 4 what?

I’m pretty sure it’s not grams, or else vegans would be starving. And kilograms seem like a bit too much for a meal. :)

So what is it?

Thanks

• S.Walker June 7, 2013 at 5:02 am #

The numbers mean the servings of each per day. With each food group there is a recommended serving size. These numbers are just the suggested requirement for a stable Vegan diet.

• Mathieu June 8, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

Ah, thanks.

Now I need to figure out what those servings are…

I guess it’s an American thing, as I had never heard about it before :x

2. eawachs June 6, 2013 at 11:32 pm #

I think the numbers mean servings in a day.

3. Shannon June 7, 2013 at 7:28 pm #

My “Vegan for Life” is on my simple, non-colored, e-reader…so I love seeing the colors on the guide; but most importantly this is such a great tool!
    The “Calcium Rich Foods” ring…an area I don’t think about as much as I should, it a nice reminder. And I also appreciate the serving breakdowns of each food group. I know I eat way too many servings of nuts/seeds, and seeing this reminds me that I need to ensure that I eat balanced and from all groups.
    Love it!

4. Lyndsey June 11, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

It’s not too specific…but it is a cute reminder of what vegans should be eating. Now if you could create a chart like this specifically aimed at teen vegans- *that* would be great! :)