Brand New Website! Plus a Nutrition Primer on Vegan Bone Health

Brand New Website! Plus a Nutrition Primer on Vegan Bone Health

By | 2017-07-12T22:28:39+00:00 July 12th, 2017|17 Comments

If you’re reading this on the web, you’ll see that TheVeganRD has received a long overdue redesign. A big thank you to web designer Chad Smalley (who also happens to be a bassist and singer with Houston band Blaggards and is a vegan. Chad was great to work with and never even batted an eye (at least I don’t think he did) when I said that my taste in design runs toward “cozy vintage.” I think he did an amazing job.

In celebration of my brand new look, I want to start expanding the nutrition primers on this site. In particular, I’ve lately had a lot of questions about bone health. They have come mostly from vegan women who have experienced a fracture or been diagnosed with osteoporosis.

It doesn’t mean that vegans are at higher risk for poor bone health. But some vegans may not be making optimal choices for keeping bones strong.  This is due in part to that thing I complain about all of the time – bad information in the vegan sphere. In particular, many popular vegan resources continue to suggest that vegans have an advantage regarding bone health because we eat less protein than omnivores. In fact, that’s probably a disadvantage. We also need to give some attention to vitamin B12 and vitamin D, and of course, to calcium. For guidelines on how to keep bones strong, no matter your age or gender, please see my new primer Protecting Bone Health on a Vegan Diet.

17 Comments

1. Fireweed July 12, 2017 at 10:52 pm - Reply

The new site looks beautiful, accessible and as always…the best source of reliable information on line when it comes to up to date facts on vegan nutrition! Thanks so much, and congratulations Ginny!

2. Lani Muelrath July 12, 2017 at 11:07 pm - Reply

Ginny, thank you for this informative and clarifying article. A disservice is done to vegans when they are told “just eat a variety of plant foods and you’ll be fine”, yet you, in simple and easy to understand language , have provided some clear guidelines.

3. Jo Anna July 12, 2017 at 11:41 pm - Reply

Congratulations on your update! Cozy vintage is good! But I’d read your stuff if it were scratched on the back of a lunch napkin, you’re that helpful,to vegans on a quest for balance and health!

4. Rebekah Jaunty July 13, 2017 at 7:59 am - Reply

Whoo hoo, what a makeover! Your site looks great now, more light and modern.

5. Carol Meerschaert July 13, 2017 at 1:08 pm - Reply

Great new design. Looks more “you.”

6. AMy July 13, 2017 at 4:28 pm - Reply

Hi- Instead of saying, “Eat three servings a day,” it would be very helpful if you said actual amounts….like eat 1 1/2 cups of legumes per day.” Or, “Eat 2 cups of cooked kale per day.” Because I think “serving size” is not well understood (at least by me) and I have to go look it up separately.

THank you!

• Ginny Messina July 13, 2017 at 11:00 pm - Reply

If you check out the links in each of the sections, they go to other primers that specify serving sizes. But I’ll take another look at this to see if I can make it a little more clear.

7. Serenity July 13, 2017 at 8:56 pm - Reply

Why the emphasize on COOKED greens? Do raw greens not offer the same amount of nutrients? I am a vegan who was diagnosed with osteoporosis in my late 20s. I eat 2-3 cups of greens a day, but not always cooked.

• Ginny Messina July 13, 2017 at 10:58 pm - Reply

Yes, I realize that’s confusing. Raw greens are fine. I emphasized “cooked” because it’s 2 cups of cooked greens or 4 cups of raw. I’ll make that change to clarify.

8. Robert Grillo July 14, 2017 at 2:17 am - Reply

Congratulations! I hope you get millions of new views!

9. Laurie July 14, 2017 at 8:50 pm - Reply

Great new look.
    Working my way through Even Vegans Die. What a great book!